Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Oh what up Europe!

Okay you guys. This is my first post- obviously. So. I'm not really sure how to tackle this. I guess I'll start but saying I MADE IT!!! Man. I don't want to sound too american, but Europe is AWESOME! We are spending the first week in Vilnius, Lithuania. The city is mainly a bunch of baroque buildings, mostly churches. There is actually a law here that all buildings must have red roofs. Cool right?! The city itself is so interesting because it not really very organized. Especially in Upland, we are so used to organized roads and blocks of land. Navigation is pretty straight forward at home. Here, the city appears to have been pieced together like a mosaic. It makes for some really fun exploring :) Tonight we hiked up the mountain to Three Crosses, and the view was extraordinary. The city was all lit and we could see the TV tower in the distance decorated as the largest Christmas tree in Europe.
So far, everything has almost felt like a dream. It's a little crazy to think that we are all finally here. Tomorrow we head to Klaipeda, where I will be living for the next four months :) I cannot wait to get settled and begin life in Lithuania. Continued prayers for safe travel and boldness in my relationships would be great. ALSO, I would LOVE it if you would ask questions. I'm not really sure what to write, and I don't want to end up telling stories or sharing things that aren't interesting to anyone else. Awkwarrrd. So. ask questions. Leave comments. Write me a poem. Whatever speaks to your heart.

I love you. I miss you. And I'm happy you are in my life even as I am galavanting through Europe.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be the first to leave something!

    What are you looking forward to most on your trip? Maybe you told me this already but, who are you staying with? Also, after a little while, you'll have to say what is one of the most interesting things you've seen while being there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, the housies miss you a whole lot!
    Second, I'm so happy you made it there safely, the picture is GREAT!
    Third, I second D'Andre's question of what are some of the most interesting things you've seen?
    Is the food as good as the DC? haha just kidding, of course its better!
    You mentioned you went on a hike, will you guys be doing that often? If so, thats soooo AWESOME!
    I hope you're having a great time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your blog already!!!! I feel like Im reliving it a little through your posts! Im so excited to see what God is going to do through you this semester!! Enjoy every minute of it. Be challenged. Engage the culture, city and the people! 4 months goes by wayyy to quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. D'Andre- I'm most looking forward to doing some traveling on the weekends. A bunch of us are trying to coordinate schedules right now. The hardest/exciting part about being in Europe as a study abroad (at least right now) is ALL of the opportunities to travel and not much time to do it. But I would LOVE to visit London, Ireland, Paris, Vienna. We shall see :)

    Carly- The food is GREAT! Really heavy- lots of meat and potatoes. But its delicious :) I'll try to take some pictures of interesting food that we try. We only went hiking the one time. But we will do a 5 hour walking tour in Russia (I can't remember what city) and that should be fun. As for interesting things- we toured a castle in Trakai (pictures are on my FB). Everything has just been beautiful- love the architecture. It's just what you would expect from traveling through Europe- lots of art and statues, cobblestone roads, great fashion :) We also toured the KGB/genocide museum in Vilnius- that was very interesting. I don't have any pictures though :/

    ReplyDelete